Find more dinner recipes here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes (3½ cups)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems discarded, leaves sliced crosswise into thin ribbons or 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas), toasted
- In a small bowl, combine shallot, ginger and garlic. In a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat 1 tsp oil. Add half of shallot mixture and sauté for 30 seconds. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil; add lentils and bay leaf. Return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, toss squash with curry powder, salt, pepper and turmeric. In a large deep sauté pan on medium-high, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add squash; sauté for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste and ½ cup water; pour into squash mixture, scraping up bits from the bottom of the pan as the liquid sizzles. Stir to coat squash with tomato, cover pan, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes more, until squash is tender but not mushy.
- Stir squash into pot with cooked lentils; add cilantro. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- To same sauté pan, add remaining 2 tsp oil and heat on medium-high. Add remaining shallot mixture and sauté for 30 seconds. Add bell peppers and kale and sauté for 7 to 10 minutes, until peppers are tender with a little bite left and kale is wilted. Add a splash of water to scrape up any bits from pan and stir. (If using spinach, sauté bell peppers first for 5 minutes, then add spinach and cook just until wilted.)
- Divide squash-lentil mixture among plates and top with kale mixure and pepitas.
- Serving Size: 1 c lentils, 1/2 c kale mixture
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 293 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g