Video: How to: Beans
They're economical, full of fiber and great for the heart! Learn how to use your beans in Chef Jo's tutorial.
Video: Leafy Green Vegetables
Like mom always said: Eat your greens! Chef Jo gives you the lowdown on super-nutritious leafy green vegetables and how to use them in your cooking.
- Prep Time
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups BPA-free canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 small whole-grain pitas or Naan breads (each 4 inches in diameter), halved
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high.
- Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chickpeas and broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in spinach and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with pitas on the side for sopping up soup.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 c soup and 1/2 pita
- Calories: 291
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 339 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g