Danish Smørrebrød Sandwiches with Dilled Shrimp & Pickled Onions
Inspired by the Danish smørrebrød (pronounced smuhr-broht), an open-faced sandwich, we layered creamy shrimp salad over crisp lettuce, roasted beets and whole-grain rye bread. Pickled onions add a sweet and crunchy punch.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 red beets (about 8 oz)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 10 oz frozen cooked bay shrimp, thawed
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large green lettuce leaves
- 4 slices whole-grain rye bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beets in foil and roast on a small baking sheet until a paring knife slides easily into center, 45 to 50 minutes. Carefully unwrap and set aside until cool enough to handle. Slide skins off beets under cold running water. Thinly slice and drizzle with 2 tsp lemon juice; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine vinegar, cane juice, coriander seeds, garlic, salt, bay leaf and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil, stirring until cane juice is dissolved. Stir in onion and remove from heat; set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine shrimp, yogurt, dill, mayonnaise, lemon zest, remaining 4 tsp lemon juice and pepper.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf on each slice toast; top with sliced beets, shrimp mixture and pickled onions.
- Serving Size 1 sandwhich
- Calories 238
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 139 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 348 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 2 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g