Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cups eggplant, unpeeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup no-salted-added tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 cup whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- Additional basil leaves, as garnish
- n a large skillet over medium-high, sauté beef, onion, garlic, eggplant and carrots until meat is cooked thoroughly, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup sauce, oregano and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Then uncover and stir in spinach until just beginning to wilt.
- Meanwhile, cook fusilli according to package directions in a medium pot. Drain and set aside in a bowl. Next, cook macaroni according to package directions using the same medium pot. Drain and add to fusilli.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, tomato, basil and oil.
- In a large bowl, add beef mixture, both pastas, remaining ½ cup sauce and mozzarella, stirring until well combined. Then stir in ricotta mixture, until all contents are combined. Serve, garnished with additional basil leaves.
Nutrients per 1 1/2 cup-serving: Calories: 420, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 57 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 33 g, Sodium: 190 mg, Cholesterol: 50 mg