It’s 5:30 p.m. and you haven’t started dinner yet – don’t rush to your phone to order in just yet, there’s still plenty of time to get a hearty and healthy meal on the table. This creamy one-pan artichoke chicken has the depth of flavor usually found in long-simmering meals, but with a quicker cooking time, just 30 minutes from start to finish.
A quicker artichoke chicken
Our artichoke chicken recipe calls for dredging the chicken in arrowroot flour. Made from a tropical tuber and virtually tasteless, our recipe uses it as a swap for wheat flour to give the chicken a brown, crispy texture as it cooks. If you’re not yet familiar with arrowroot, it’s used for a number of applications in the kitchen including its thickening ability – in fact, it is twice as strong as wheat flour. It was used in some early American cookie recipes and today many cooks add it to stews, puddings and pies in place of cornstarch. Another benefit of arrowroot? It’s gluten-free. If you’re looking to make this recipe entirely gluten, make sure to serve it with a gluten-free grain such as quinoa or rice.
In this recipe, a tantalizing medley of mild, smooth and sharp tastes is provided by the onion, garlic, broth, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and seasonings all cooked together – a perfect environment for the chicken thighs to soak up flavor. The cream lends a richness that will satisfy the most sophisticated palette. Simmering it all in a skillet on a low heat concentrates the flavor even more.
Several cups of whole-what couscous, farro, quinoa or even rice can be served as a filling backdrop to the chicken-vegetable mixture. If you want to make this dinner ahead of time, freeze the chicken mixture and grains separately to give yourself a wonderful meal another day.
Creamy Chicken Skillet with Artichokes
- Season chicken with one-half of salt and pepper. Place the arrowroot in a shallow bowl and dredge the chicken.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat one-half the oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and heat the remaining half of oil. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add artichokes, broth, cream, lemon zest, tomatoes, thyme leaves, pepper flakes and remaining half of salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the skillet and simmer on low for about 12 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced slightly.
- Serve over cooked grain of your choice.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 681
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 228 mg
- Fat Content 36 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 43 g
- Saturated Fat Content 17 g
- Sodium Content 598 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 14 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g