These grass-fed burgers are full of umami thanks to the shiitake mushrooms, both in the burgers and sautéed as a topping, mayonnaise with a little miso and sharp cheddar cheese. Replace the whole-grain bun with large romaine lettuce leaves for a low-carb alternative.
CANCER-FIGHTING MUSHROOMS: Shiitake mushrooms contain lentinan, a polysaccharide with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. In clinical studies, lentinan has shown promise for stimulating the activity of certain immune cells (helping to boost immune function) and inhibiting tumors.
Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo and Eden Genmai Miso paste combine to elevate this burger with deep umami flavor.
- Prep Time
2 tbsp Chosen Foods Avocado Oil Mayo – Traditional
1 tsp Eden Genmai Miso
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
4 whole-grain buns, split
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
3½ cups (5 oz) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
4 TRIBALÍ Foods Umami Beef Patties, frozen
3–4 oz Tillamook 3-Year Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, cut into 4 thin slices, optional (p. 41)
4 romaine lettuce leaves
1. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, miso and lemon juice. Spread on top halves of buns and set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl, cover and set aside.
3. Return skillet to the stove on medium-low. Add burgers and cook for 6 minutes. Flip burgers, top with cheese (if using), and continue to cook until burgers are cooked through (an instant-read thermometer will register 160°F), about 6 minutes. Place burgers on the bottom halves of buns. Top with mushroom mixture, lettuce leaves and tops of bun.
- Serving Size: 1 burger with toppings
- Calories: 455
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 68 mg
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 3 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 8 g