Nutritional Bonus: Looking to add a new source of lean protein to your meal plan? Clams are virtually on par with chicken when it comes to both protein and fat counts – a 3-ounce serving of cooked clams contains a whopping 22 grams of protein with less than 2 grams of total fat, while the same amount of skinless, boneless cooked chicken breast offers 27 grams and 3 grams, respectively.
Video: Types of Fish
Chef Jo discusses the best way to prepare different types of fish and how to make sure you're choosing wisely.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 cupsServings
- 1 cup jarred baby clams, drained
- 1 lb firm white fish (Pacific halibut or cod), cut into large chunks
- 1 lb mussels in shells, cleaned
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 1-oz slices crusty whole-grain baguette, toasted, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 cups jarred or boxed unsalted diced tomatoes (TRY: Pomì Chopped Tomatoes)
- 1 cup clam juice or low-sodium fish stock
- Pinch saffron, optional
- Prepare Bouillabaisse Broth: In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-high. Add garlic, onion and fennel and sauté until onion is translucent and fennel is softened. Pour tomatoes with juice, clam juice and 3 cups water into pan. Add saffron, if desired. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until broth is reduced by one-third. Let broth cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Return broth to saucepan and warm on medium-high until simmering, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add clams, fish and mussels. Simmer until clams are cooked through, fish is cooked and flakes easily with a fork, and mussels are open, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve bouillabaisse with crusty baguette slices, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 c bouillabaisse and 1 slice bread
- Calories: 377
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 116 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 50 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 650 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g