Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Prepare chapati dough: In a large bowl, combine flours and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 1 1/2 tsp safflower oil and mix with your fingers until crumbly. Slowly add 3 tbsp water, 1 tbsp at a time, and mix until dough just comes together. (NOTE: Dough will appear dry, but will come together when pressed. If dough is too dry, add more water, 1 tsp water at a time, until dough comes together in a ball.) Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare curry: In a large sauté pan on medium, heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and heat until seeds turn gray and begin to pop, 45 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes, until softened. Add chile pepper, ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
- To pan, add eggplant and curry powder and stir. Add broth and coconut milk. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until eggplant is just tender when pierced with a fork, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, cover and simmer until tomatoes burst and are falling apart, about 6 minutes. Season with ½ tsp each salt and black pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and cover with a damp cloth. Dust a rolling pin and work surface with flour. Flatten and roll each dough ball until very thin and about 5 inches in diameter, lifting and rotating dough to keep it from sticking to surface. Cover dough circles with a damp towel.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or griddle on medium high. Heat 1 chapati at a time in dry skillet until small bubbles appear on surface, about 30 seconds. Flip chapati over and brush surface with about one-quarter of remaining safflower oil. Heat until lightly puffed, about 30 seconds. Wrap chapati in foil or a towel to keep warm and repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle cilantro over curry and serve with chapati.
- Serving Size 1 cup curry and 1 chapati
- Calories 273
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 409 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g