Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice top and bottom off eggplants and discard. Slice each eggplant lengthwise into 4 1⁄2-inch-thick slices. Arrange on prepared sheet and brush with oil; season with one-half of each salt and pepper. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, make filling: To a food processor, add softened cashews, basil leaves, garlic, lemon zest and juice and remaining one-half each salt and pepper. Process to a well-blended but slightly chunky texture.
- Place 1 strip roasted red pepper onto each eggplant slice and divide filling over top of each. Roll up and arrange in an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish. Cover with marinara sauce and top with cheese. Cover dish with parchment paper and then foil. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes; remove cover and bake for another 2 minutes. Top each slice with additional basil.
NOTE: If following our Meal Plan, freeze 1 serving for later in the week; refrigerate remaining servings. Reheat in oven when called for. Garnish with fresh chopped basil just before serving.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 379
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 626 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g