Nutritional Bonus: You can still have savory Italian sausage without blowing your calorie budget. Just make sure it's the fresh, lean turkey variety, which is lower in fat and sodium than traditional links, and keep portions small.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 lb eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz whole-wheat linguine
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 oz all-natural deli-fresh turkey sausage, casing cut open and meat crumbled
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (TRY: [url href="http://www.pomi.us.com/en-us/TomatoProducts.php/"]Pomì Chopped Tomatoes[/url])
- 1/4 cup unsweetened golden raisins
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 packed cup parsley, chopped
- Sea salt, to taste, optional
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; add eggplant in a single layer. Coat eggplant with cooking spray and season with black pepper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender and lightly browned, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add onion and sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium. Stir in eggplant, raisins and capers and simmer until thickened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar and all but 1 tbsp parsley. If desired, season with salt and black pepper.
- Return linguine to pot it was cooked in and place on low heat. Immediately add eggplant-sausage mixture and mix well. Divide among 4 bowls and top each with 2 tbsp ricotta. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 tbsp parsley and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups pasta and 2 tbsp ricotta
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Cholesterol Content: 48 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 486 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g