Eggs Florentine with Roasted Tomatoes & Mushroom Spinach Sauté
No need for an English muffin here – our poached eggs are served over roasted tomatoes with a creamy, yogurt-based hollandaise-style sauce smothered over top.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 4 large tomatoes, cores trimmed and each sliced in half crosswise
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 egg yolks plus 8 eggs, divided
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tsp organic unsalted butter, divided (Try: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 3 cups button or white mushrooms, halved
- 3 cups loosely packed trimmed spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a baking dish, place tomatoes cut sides up. Mist with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and slightly shriveled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water; in bowl, whisk together egg yolks, yogurt and lemon juice. Cook, whisking often, for 5 to 8 minutes or until thick. (NOTE: mixture will appear thick at first, then will thin out and thicken again.) Remove bowl from heat and whisk in 4 tsp butter and mustard until smooth. Season with additional salt. Cover and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium high, heat remaining 1 tsp butter. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Poach eggs: Fill a large, shallow saucepan with 3 inches water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar and reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer. In a small dish, break 1 egg and gently slip into simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until desired doneness. (NOTE: It may be easiest to do this in 2 batches of 4 eggs each.)
- Divide spinach-mushroom mixture among plates and nestle 2 baked tomato halves on top. Top each tomato with a poached egg, then spoon sauce over top and sprinkle with chives.
- Serving Size 2 eggs and 1/4 of spinach mixture, tomatoes, and sauce
- Calories 358
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 531 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 410 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g