Find more vegetarian recipes here!
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- Prep Time
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 yellow onion, cut into 3 or 4 chunks
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, divided (NOTE: Leave 2 cloves whole and mince 2 cloves.)
- 1 tsp sodium-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander (TRY: Simply Organic Coriander)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp paprika (TRY: Simply Organic Paprika)
- 6 6-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 head green leaf or red leaf lettuce, coarsely shredded
- 1 tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 low-sodium dill pickle, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Harissa or other hot sauce, optional
- To a food processor, add chickpeas, yellow onion, flour, parsley, whole garlic, baking powder, cumin, coriander and salt and pulse to a grainy paste, scraping down bowl as necessary. With lightly moistened hands, shape paste into 12 golf ball-size rounds, arranging on a plate.
- Coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-low. Working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the skillet, add balls and use a spatula to flatten to about ½ inch thick. Cook until browned on bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and brown other side, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together tahini, ¼ cup water, lemon juice, remaining minced garlic and paprika.
- Cut about 1 inch off top of each pita, forming a pocket. Add 2 falafel to each pita and divide lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pickle, red onion and tahini sauce among pitas. Drizzle each with harissa (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 filled pita
- Calories: 243
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 336 mg
- Sugar Content: 4.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2.5 g