Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Better Bones: Looking to reduce fractures? Radicchio is a good source of vitamin K, which is important for bone health and has been shown to improve bone density. A single serving contains more than 100% of your recommended daily value of the vitamin. In a meta-study, supplementation of vitamin K improved bone mineral density in post-menopausal women and significantly reduced rates of fractures.
1. To a saucepan, add farro and 3 cups water. Cover; bring to a boil. Reduce to medium-low; simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain, cool; transfer to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl dissolve kosher salt in 1 cup hot water. Stir in 3 cups cold water. Add chicken; cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk lemon zest and juice, honey and mustard until combined. Slowly whisk in olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
4. Remove chicken from brine; discard brine. Pat chicken dry and brush with 2 tbsp avocado oil. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and rest for 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, brush fennel and radicchio with remaining 2 tbsp avocado oil; season with ½ tsp sea salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Grill fennel, turning occasionally, 5 minutes. Add radicchio to grill; cook until vegetables are lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. (TIP: Use a grilling tray.)
6. Roughly chop fennel and radicchio. Add to a medium bowl along with dates and pistachios. Chop chicken and add to bowl.
7. To farro, add 2 tbsp dressing and toss. Add chicken mixture and 2 to 3 tbsp dressing; toss gently. Season with remaining ¼ tsp each sea salt and pepper, if desired. Top with cheese and fennel fronds.
MAKE AHEAD: Make salad through Step 6 up to 4 days ahead and refrigerate components separately. Complete Step 7 right before serving, tossing with dressing and adding cheese.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 561
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 64 mg
- Fat Content 32 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 640 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 19 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g