Fattoush Salad with Za’atar Pita Chips
Packed with veggies, chickpeas and crunchy pita chips, this Lebanese salad makes a satisfying meal. If you can’t find Za’atar, a Middle-Eastern spice blend, make your own variation by mixing equal amounts of dried thyme, sesame seeds and ground sumac.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, split and each half cut into 8 triangles
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp Za’atar seasoning blend
- 1/2 plus 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped English cucumber
- 1 cup seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pita triangles on a large parchment-lined baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Za’atar and 1/4 tsp salt. Bake for about 15 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, oil, honey, cumin, coriander, pepper and 1/8 tsp salt.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, pomegranate seeds, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and vinaigrette. Divide salad among plates and top each serving with pita chips.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 304
- Carbohydrate Content 52.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 510 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g