- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, plus additional as needed ( Try: Pacific Foods Organic Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 lb Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced to about 1/8-inch (ideally, use a mandoline)
- 1 bulb fennel, halved, cored and thinly sliced to about 1/8-inch (ideally, use a mandoline)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a measuring cup, combine half-and-half and broth and set aside.
- Mist a 2- to 2.-qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Add half of potatoes, arranging them in even layers of overlapping rows (it may be more than 1 layer). Add fennel in an even layer, then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Arrange remaining potatoes on top, in even layers of overlapping rows. Pour half-and-half mixture over top of dish. Use your fingertips or a spatula to press potatoes down into liquid; potatoes should be just barely submerged. If not, add more broth. Finish with remaining 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Use a spatula to moisten top layer of potatoes, pressing them down into the liquid. Continue baking until liquid has absorbed, potatoes are cooked through and top is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup of potato gratin
- Calories: 203
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Sodium Content: 197 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g