Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fiddleheads and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well and transfer to a paper towel–lined bowl to dry completely. (NOTE: If using frozen fiddleheads, omit this step.)
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and flour; set aside until flour dissolves.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add carrot and bell peppers and sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes; add fiddleheads and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir in milk mixture, broth, lemon zest and pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid thickens, about 5 minutes.
- To fiddlehead mixture, add pasta, lemon juice, basil and parsley and toss to combine. To serve, top with cheese.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 277
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 1 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 74 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g