Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 medium-sized whole fish of your choosing, or 4 small-sized whole fish
- 6 whole Jamaican allspice berries
- 8 cups vegetable stock, no sodium or low-sodium
- Optional: 3 green bananas, sliced
- 2 cho cho (chayote), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2–3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 scallion stalks, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup greens, chopped (kale, spinach, or collard greens)
- 1 whole Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons Ziggy Marley’s Coco’Mon Coconut Oil, or coconut oil of your choosing
- Optional additions: noodles of your choosing and lemon
- Remove fish heads and set aside.
- Fillet fish and set flesh aside.
- Place allspice, fish heads, and bones into a stockpot.
- Add 4 cups vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Strain stock, discarding heads and bones. Return stock to pot, add remaining 4 cups of stock, and bring to a boil.
- Add (optional) green bananas, cho cho (chayote), butternut squash, and carrot, and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add fresh thyme, onion, bell peppers, turmeric, ginger, garlic, scallion, and salt and black pepper, and then add greens.
- Place whole Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper and fish fillets on top and simmer on medium-high heat till fish is flaky and vegetables are cooked. Time varies depending on the fish; keep an eye on it.
- Stir in coconut oil when fish begins to flake, and simmer for about 5 more minutes, and you're good to go. Optional additions: noodles and/or a squeeze of lemon.
Recipes by Ziggy Marley and excerpted fromZiggy Marley and Family Cookbook: Delicious Meals made with Whole, Organic Ingredients from the Marley Kitchen, copyright 2016 by Tuff Gong Worldwide, used with permission of Akashic Books (akashicbooks.com) and Tuff Gong Worldwide.