Serve with Tangy Tartar Sauce.
Jennifer, Jessica and Jill Emich, triplets known as The Blissful Sisters, have been in the restaurant business for more than 15 years. Most recently, they opened Shine Restaurant and Gathering Place in Boulder, Colorado, where Jill is the director of events, Jennifer is manager and Jessica is the executive chef.
- Prepare your ingredients and arrange them in the following sequence near your stove top: Cut the fish into wide strips, about 1 to 3 inches each. On a large plate, combine flour and salt. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. In a separate large bowl, combine bread crumbs and olive oil.
- Individually dredge each strip of fish in the flour mixture and set aside on a plate. When all of the fish is coated with flour, dip each piece individually in the egg, and then coat thoroughly with the bread crumbs; set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large sauté pan on medium-high. Add half of the coconut oil to the pan. When the oil is completely melted, place some of the coated fish strips in the pan. (Do not overcrowd the pan – you will need to cook in batches.) Cook for a few minutes on each side, until the
- fish strips have a nice golden brown color. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Repeat this step with
- the remaining coconut oil and fish sticks. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
GLUTEN-FREE BREAD CRUMBS
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until dry and toasted, about 8 to 10 minutes, flipping over once while baking; let cool completely. Alternatively, dry out the bread on the counter, uncovered, overnight.
- In a food processor, break up the slices of dried bread into chunks, and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add salt and seasonings (if using) and pulse again until combined, or until crumbs reach the desired consistency. (The triplets prefer coarser panko-style crumbs, but you may like to grind them fine.)
- Transfer bread crumbs to the baking sheet and bake on center rack for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool on baking sheet before transferring crumbs to a freezer-safe container. Seal tightly and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe with 1 tbsp tartar sauce
- Calories 428
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 140 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8.5 g
- Sodium Content 707 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g