Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Prepare sauce: Cut plums in half and remove pits. Cut each half into 4 slices. In a medium saucepan, heat oil on medium. Add plums and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until plums begin to brown slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add broth and five-spice powder, cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook at a steady simmer until liquid reduces by about two thirds and plums are soft. Stir in honey and continue simmering until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. (MAKE AHEAD: Sauce can be made up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated. Reheat on stovetop on low.)
- Prepare chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place almonds in a heavy duty zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin to make fine crumbs. Add five-spice powder and shake to combine. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. With a spoon, sprinkle half of almond mixture over chicken and lightly press into meat to help almonds adhere. Flip chicken over and repeat with remaining almond mixture on opposite side.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet on medium-high. Add chicken and cook, without moving, until golden brown on bottom, about 5 minutes. Flip over and repeat on opposite side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until thickest part of chicken is no longer pink and temperature reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare rabe: Add about 2 inches water to a large saucepan and fit with a steamer basket. Cover and bring water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe, cover and reduce heat to medium. Steam until broccoli rabe is tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add orange zest and juice, oil and almonds. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Place 1 chicken breast on each of 4 plates. Top each with about 1⁄3 cup plum sauce and serve broccoli rabe on the side, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 1 chicken breast, 1/3 cup plum sauce, 2/3 cup rabe
- Calories 402
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 99 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 48 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 223 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g