Flank Steak Wakame Crepes with Wakame Avocado Purée
Top these crepes with what you have–we love the combination of red cabbage, green onions, cilantro, avocado, toasted sesame seeds and a splash of sriracha!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more dinner recipes here.
- 3/4 oz dried wakame
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp fine sea salt)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional toppings: red cabbage, green onions, toasted sesame seeds, sriracha, as desired
- Wakame Avocado Purée, optional
- 1 1½-lb flank steak, trimmed and patted dry
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or 3/4 tsp fine sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- To a blender, add wakame and blend on high to turn into a fine powder. Measure out 3½ tsp. Set the remaining wakame powder aside (to be used in Wakame Avocado Purée).
- Prepare crepes: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and olive oil. Add 1½ cups water and whisk until well combined. Add flours, salt and pepper and whisk until well combined. Add reserved 3½ tsp wakame powder and whisk until just combined.
- Heat a crepe pan or 9-inch nonstick sauté pan on medium-low. Measure about ¼ cup batter, and pour into center of pan. Quickly rotate and tilt pan to spread evenly, just enough to cover bottom of pan. Cook for 1½ minutes, then flip with a plastic spatula. (The crepe should be set, maybe even very lightly golden brown in color but not dry or crispy.) Cook second side, about 1½ minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack. Once crepes are at room temperature, stack them.
- Prepare steak: Pierce steak in rows on both sides with a fork. Cut into 4 equal-size pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high, heat grape seed oil. Lay steak in pan and cook to desired doneness, turning once every minute, until well caramelized, about 6 to 9 minutes total cooking time for medium-rare depending on thickness. Let rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes. Cut in thin slices against the grain. Serve steak in crepes with optional toppings of your choice. If you’d like another element, try our Wakame Avocado Purée over top (skip the avocado slices).
- Serving Size 1 crepe with steak and vegetables
- Calories 222
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 513 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g