Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a small bowl, add dates and cover with coffee. Let stand until dates are very soft, about 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp coffee.
- In a heat-proof bowl, combine chocolate and butter; set over a pot of simmering water, ensuring bowl and water don’t touch. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate and butter have melted. Transfer bowl to a heat-proof surface.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter. Line bottom of pan with parchment then grease parchment layer with extra butter.
- To a food processor, add softened dates, 2 tbsp reserved coffee and vanilla; process until smooth. Add egg yolks and process, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add chocolate mixture, almond flour, cacao and salt; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Using a hand blender, beat egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Add one-third of egg whites to cake batter and mix until combined. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Pour into prepared springform pan, spreading evenly. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until edges are set and center is still slightly soft. Transfer to a rack; let cool.
- Just before serving, make whipped cream: In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer on medium, whip cream until soft peaks form. Run a paring knife under hot water until warm, then run it around inside edge of springform pan; release sides. Cut cake into slices, running knife under hot water and wiping clean between slices. Sprinkle each slice with berries and mint (if using), and top with whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate leftover cake for up to 3 days. (NOTE: Let leftover cake come back to room temperature before serving.)
Related: Chocolate Peppermint Naked Cake
- Serving Size ⅛ of cake without berries
- Calories 414
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 128 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 19 g
- Sodium Content 99 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 11 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g