Freckled Leaf Lettuce with Goat Cheese, Pecans & Brown Turkey Figs
Dig into this luscious summertime salad recipe with goat cheese, pecans and brown turkey figs from Terranea's Chef de Cuisine Andrew Vaughan.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more salad recipes here!
- 1 head Freckles or romaine lettuce
- 4 1/4 inch slices Humboldt Fog goat cheese
- 12 brown turkey figs
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Maple thyme vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup 1 shallot,
- 3 minced tbsp fresh picked thyme leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange, plus 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Prepare Spiced Pecans: Preheat oven to 300°F. Combine all ingredients and place on a parchment-lined pan. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a glass or stainless steel mixing bowl, combine all vinaigrette ingredients except oil, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil then season with salt and black pepper.
- Assemble salad: Separate and rinse lettuce leaves and pat dry. Lay 4 leaves on each plate. Quarter figs and place in a small bowl; toss in 2 tbsp of maple-thyme vinaigrette. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add one slice of goat cheese to each plate. Top each salad with dressed figs, sprinkle with spiced pecans and drizzle desired amount of remaining vinaigrette over the top. (NOTE: Vinaigrette recipe makes a generous amount; remainder can be refrigerated and used within 3 to 4 days.)
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g