Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- To a Dutch oven or medium pot on medium, add bacon and cook, stirring often, until bacon begins to crisp slightly on sides, about 7 minutes. Add onion, garlic and butter. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook until onions are golden and very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add wine, increase heat to medium high and cook for 1 minute. Add beans, broth, vinegar, thyme, salt, nutmeg and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a potato masher, gently mash about half of beans. (NOTE: Mashing some of the beans helps thicken the soup.)
- Meanwhile, position oven rack about 6 inches below heating element and preheat broiler to high. On a large rimmed foil-lined baking sheet, arrange baguette slices and sprinkle cheese over each slice. Broil until cheese melts and baguette slices are golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. (TIP: Watch closely so as not to burn the bread.) Ladle soup into bowls and place 2 to 3 cheese toasts on the surface of each serving of soup.
- Serving Size 1 cup French onion soup and 2 to 3 baguette slices
- Calories 281
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 391 mg
- Sugar Content 5.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g