- Prepare coconut: Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a hammer and a Phillips-head screwdriver to poke through the 3 “eyes” of the coconut, starting with the one that feels softest. (NOTE: The 3 “eyes” are dimples on one end of the coconut; one tends to be softer than the other two.) Drain liquid into a bowl or measuring cup. Place drained coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Wrap in a clean towel and bang a few times against a hard surface or whack with a hammer to break the shell. Remove meat from the hard shell and if desired, peel the thin brown skin with a vegetable peeler. Grate the large chunks of coconut with the shredding attachment of a food processor, a box grater or carefully slice with a knife to yield 1 cup (reserve remaining coconut for another use).
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, jicama, carrot, mango and mint and toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over jicama mixture and toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve chilled.
- Serving Size 1 heaping cup
- Calories 121
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 140 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g