Health Benefit: Research shows that daikon radish, a spicy cruciferous vegetable, supports liver health, protects against diabetes and may reduce the risk of cancer.
Want a Fish-Free Option? Omit the bonito flakes from the furikake recipe in step 3 and substitute 14 oz cubed tofu, patted dry, for tuna in steps 3 and 4. Pan sear the tofu in sesame oil.
See Also 5 Spiralizers for Every Cook
1 small daikon radish, spiralized or very thinly sliced (about 1½ cups, loosely packed)
½ cup + 1 tbsp rice vinegar, divided
3 tbsp raw honey
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown and/or black sesame seeds
2–3 large sheets toasted nori, ground (TIP: Grind in a spice mill or small food processor to the consistency of sesame seeds.)
1/4 cup bonito flakes (dried fish)
½ tsp sea salt
Pinch ground cayenne pepper, optional
12 oz sushi- or sashimi- grade tuna, cut into ¾-inch chunks
3 cups cooked forbidden rice ramen noodles (or other noodles such as soba or kelp)
1 large carrot, shredded
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced
4 large red radishes, thinly sliced
1. Pack daikon into a glass pint jar. In a small pot, bring ½ cup vinegar to a boil. Remove from heat, add honey, and stir to dissolve. Pour over daikon, cover and let stand for 1 to 2 hours, or refrigerate overnight.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, tamari, garlic and remaining 1 tbsp vinegar. Set aside.
3. Prepare furikake: In a small jar, combine sesame seeds, nori, bonito, salt and cayenne (if using); cover and shake. Pour furikake into a shallow dish and dredge tuna cubes in mixture. Discard excess furikake.
4. Assemble bowls: Toss noodles with half of dressing and divide between 4 bowls. Top each bowl with carrots, onions, snow peas and radishes and drizzle with remaining dressing. Divide pickled daikon and tuna between bowls.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 439
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 34 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 348 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 6 g