Nutritional Bonus: Your body absorbs more iron from plant-based foods when combined with vitamin C, and this pie boasts a healthy dose of both. Each 2-cup serving fulfills 58% of your daily need for the immunity-boosting vitamin and 36% of your requirement for the mineral vital in the transportation of oxygen to cells.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place potatoes in a large pot filled with enough cold water to just cover them. Bring water to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes very well and set aside. Reserve pot.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a large Dutch oven or wide saucepot on medium-high. Add leek and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often, until begins to soften. Add carrots, turnips, peas, green beans and garlic and sauté for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften and brown bits form on the bottom of the pan. Pour in 1/2 cup broth, scraping brown bits from bottom as broth evaporates.
- Add chard and thyme and sauté until chard wilts, about 2 minutes. Add cannellini beans, remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes, until liquid thickens and reduces slightly, and vegetables are fork tender.
- While vegetables cook, warm milk in pot reserved from potatoes. Add potatoes and mash with a potato masher until mostly smooth (potatoes will be thick with some chunks). Stir in sour cream and chives.
- Transfer stewed vegetables to a 10-inch pie dish. Spread potatoes over top of vegetables, to edges of dish. Put pie dish on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until vegetable liquid bubbles and potato topping begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before spooning into shallow bowls.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 366
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 4 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 366 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g