This Asian-inspired recipe uses boneless chicken breasts, but boneless chicken thighs work just as well. If you want to give the dish a spicy spin, add one serrano hot pepper to the mixture before freezing; cook the pepper in the sauce then remove and discard it before serving.
- Prep Time
- 1 cup no-sugar-added apricot preserves
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup peeled and roughly chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- sea salt and ground black pepper, optional
- 1 bunch green onions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 16-oz bag baby spinach, kale or other greens
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Make chicken: In a blender or food processor, combine preserves, onion, ginger, oil, tamari and garlic. Purée until combined but not completely smooth; mixture should still have some small chunks. Pour into a large zip-top freezer bag or freezer-safe glass container. Add chicken, seal and shake to combine. Open bag, press out as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
2. To cook chicken, remove bag from freezer and let stand in the refrigerator for 24 hours, or until fully thawed. Transfer to a slow cooker and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 8 hours. Season with salt and pepper (if using).
3. Make greens: About 5 minutes before serving, in a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add garlic and greens; cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and greens are wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4. To serve, divide greens among plates; divide chicken and sauce over top. Garnish with green onions.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 297
- Carbohydrate Content: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 83 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g