We all know takeout isn’t exactly the healthiest dinner choice, but sometimes it’s just too irresistible (especially when you’re short on time). But why bother paying extra for a to-go meal when you can make a much better version at home that’s just as easy? These saucy, Asian-inspired noodles with protein-packed tofu, fragrant garlic and peppery ginger come pretty close – and with a little prep over the weekend, you can have them ready in half an hour flat during the week. Your favorite takeout place can’t get your order to you that fast!
Once this recipe becomes a staple in your Instant Pot rotation, you can also customize it by using different proteins. You can substitute chicken breast or pork tenderloin strips for the tofu, if you like. Even if you opt to stay meatless, the meaty shiitake mushrooms used in this recipe lend so much more than umami flavor to this noodle bowl. These fungi have been used since antiquity in traditional East Asian and Eastern Russian medicine. In studies, shiitake mushrooms have been linked to improving heart health, protecting against inflammation and some cancers, boosting immunity and strengthening bones.
Ginger Garlic Tofu with Noodles
- To a small bowl or container, add dried mushrooms and water; cover. Wrap tofu in 2 layers of paper towels and place in a bowl; place something heavy on top of the tofu (a jar of pickles or the like).
- Slice yellow onion and carrots and place in a container, keeping them in separate piles. Snap stem ends off the snow peas and chop green onions; place in a covered container. Place broccoli florets in a covered container. Chop garlic and ginger and place in an airtight container. In a jar or container, combine broth, tamari, hoisin, vinegar, sesame oil and sriracha. Store everything in the refrigerator.
When Ready to Eat:
- Pour mushroom soaking liquid into broth mixture. Thinly slice mushroom caps, discarding stems. Cut tofu into bite-size pieces.
- Mist bottom of Instant Pot with cooking spray, select Sauté and adjust to High. Add yellow onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Press Cancel.
- Add broth mixture and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add tofu, mushrooms and carrots. Scatter spaghetti over top and press down gently. Lock on lid, select Pressure and adjust to More/High pressure for 4 minutes. When cooking time is up, let pressure release naturally for 1 minute, and then quick-release remaining pressure.
- Add broccoli and stir, breaking up any clumps of noodles. Place lid back on and let steam for 4 minutes. Add snow peas and green onions and cover pot. Let stand 1 minute, until snow peas are tender.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 469
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 621 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g