Ginger Lime Beef Stir-Fry with Jasmine Rice & Spicy Eggplant
Ginger, lime, honey, soy sauce, ginger and then some - this beef stir-fry packs flavor in spades and keeps you full thanks to rice and eggplant sides.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Video: Citrus Fruit
From massive pomelos to mini limes, citrus fruit offers vitamin C and loads of flavor! Chef Jo shares her citrus secrets.
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 tbsp white or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (white/light green parts only; slice and reserve dark green parts for garnish)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 oz beef eye of round steak, cut into 2 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp minced fresh ginger, divided
- 4 Asian eggplants (Chinese or Japanese varieties), trimmed and sliced into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 cup each sliced yellow and red bell pepper
- 6 cups torn bok choy leaves (NOTE: Tear into 2-inch pieces.)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup lime juice, vinegar, honey, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tbsp water. Stir in 2 cloves minced garlic, poblano pepper, scallions and cilantro. Add beef, toss to coat and set aside to marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package directions, adding 1 tsp ginger to cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat remaining 2 tsp sesame oil on medium-high. Add remaining 2 cloves minced garlic and 1 tbsp ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium and add eggplant and remaining 1 tsp soy sauce. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Add remaining 3 tbsp lime juice and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper and sauté until eggplant is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok on medium-high. Add beef and any remaining marinade and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add peppers and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add bok choy and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Divide rice among serving plates and top with beef mixture. Garnish with sesame seeds (if using) and reserved dark green parts of scallions. Serve with eggplant.
- Serving Size 1 cup beef stir-fry, 1 cup eggplant, 1/2 cup rice
- Calories 415
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 77 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 240 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g