Lemongrass is the behind-the-scenes ingredient that really brings the flavor to this ginger dressing. Seen often in Asian — particularly Thai — cuisine, the aromatic lemongrass plant imparts a fresh and, true to its name, lemony flavor to dishes. Studies show it contains numerous antioxidants, such as chlorogenic acid and isoorientin, both of which help scavenge disease-causing free radicals. This herb has also been linked to reducing high systolic blood pressure and regulating cholesterol. When working with lemongrass, remember that you want to use the base of the stalk; remove the outer layers and then mince the softer inner portion.
In this recipe, we call for spiralized noodles — you can either make your own or purchase prepackaged spiralized vegetable noodles (you will need about 10 cups total).
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Place steak in a glass or ceramic dish. Drizzle with one-half of the dressing. Cover and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for 2 hours. Set aside remaining dressing in the refrigerator.
- Using a spiral maker, secure one zucchini into machine and spiral into noodles. Repeat with remaining zucchini, carrots and cucumber.
- Preheat a cast iron pan on high. Add steak and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. Transfer to a board and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, carrots, cucumber, onions, bean sprouts, basil and mint. Add remaining dressing and toss to coat. Top with sliced steak and cashews and serve with lime wedges.
MAKE AHEAD: Make recipe through Step 3 up to 2 days ahead. Store steak and dressing in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Wrap vegetables in paper towel and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 413
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 68 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5.5 g
- Sodium Content 478 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g