Ginger, garlic and chicken bone broth are all-stars for gut health. Ginger promotes healthy digestion and helps your body absorb nutrients properly. Garlic is a prebiotic while the collagen in the bone broth has been shown to strengthen intestinal walls and fight leaky gut syndrome. But the best part? They help create a savory, well-seasoned braising sauce that keeps these chicken thighs nice and juicy.
- Prep Time
2 tbsp avocado oil
8 small (or 4 large) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 lb)
1¼ tsp sea salt, divided + additional to taste
1/2 tsp ground black pepper + additional to taste
3 shallots, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 3½-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 1-inch piece fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
2 cups chicken bone broth (preferably organic or homemade)
4 1- to 2-inch-long strips orange zest + 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, divided
1 bay leaf
1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high. Pat chicken dry; season all over with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Add chicken to pan, skin side down, and cook until skin is browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn and cook until bottom is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside. Drain off all but 1 tbsp fat in pan.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add shallots and carrots and season with ¼ tsp salt and additional pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add ginger, turmeric and garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mustard seeds and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Pour broth and orange juice into pan, stirring up any browned bits on bottom. Add orange zest and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Return chicken to pan, skin side up, along with any accumulated juices on plate. Partially cover and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside and flavors have developed, about 30 minutes. Season with additional salt. Discard orange zest and bay leaf before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 547
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 273 mg
- Fat Content: 34 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 51 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 837 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 15 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 6.5 g