Love beets? Find more unbeatable ways to prepare them here!
Fuel with fiber: Beets and green beans are nutritional superstars in this satisfying side, and both are high in fiber – 1 serving of this dish supplies you with 29% of your daily fiber requirement. Containing a mere 9 calories per ounce, green beans are also a good source of vitamins A and C, both vital antioxidants for healthy eyes and skin, as well as folate, which boosts skin by supporting cell production.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 golden beets, trimmed
- 1½ lb green beans, trimmed
- 1/3 cup sliced raw unsalted almonds
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into half circles
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (any combination of parsley, mint, tarragon, thyme, basil or dill)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Loosely wrap 4 beets together in foil, sealing tightly. Repeat with remaining beets to make a total of 3 foil packets. Place on a baking sheet and roast until beets are tender and easily pierced with a paring knife, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size. Carefully open packets and let cool. Slip off skins and cut beets into 6 to 8 pieces each. Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water. Add beans to pot; once water returns to a boil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain, then immediately plunge beans into ice water for 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel.
- Heat a heavy skillet on medium. Add almonds and toast, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar and honey.
- To bowl with beets, add beans, orange juice mixture and onion and mix gently. Fold in almonds and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 153
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 157 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g