Love beets? Find more unbeatable ways to prepare them here!
Fuel with fiber: Beets and green beans are nutritional superstars in this satisfying side, and both are high in fiber – 1 serving of this dish supplies you with 29% of your daily fiber requirement. Containing a mere 9 calories per ounce, green beans are also a good source of vitamins A and C, both vital antioxidants for healthy eyes and skin, as well as folate, which boosts skin by supporting cell production.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Loosely wrap 4 beets together in foil, sealing tightly. Repeat with remaining beets to make a total of 3 foil packets. Place on a baking sheet and roast until beets are tender and easily pierced with a paring knife, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size. Carefully open packets and let cool. Slip off skins and cut beets into 6 to 8 pieces each. Transfer to a large serving bowl or platter and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water. Add beans to pot; once water returns to a boil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain, then immediately plunge beans into ice water for 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel.
- Heat a heavy skillet on medium. Add almonds and toast, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar and honey.
- To bowl with beets, add beans, orange juice mixture and onion and mix gently. Fold in almonds and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size ¾ cup
- Calories 153
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 157 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g