Golden Beet & Quinoa Salad with Baked Goat Cheese
Superfoods like beets and walnuts meet greens and heirloom grains in this healthy quinoa salad.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 4 small golden beets, trimmed and pierced several times with a fork
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 10 cups mixed greens
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced sunchokes (aka Jerusalem artichokes)
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped raw unsalted walnuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp minced fresh mint
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 oz reduced-fat goat cheese, sliced into 1⁄2-oz rounds
- 2 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 ̊F. On one half of a foil-lined baking sheet, add beets and roast until fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, sunchokes, onion and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp mint, oregano, black pepper and pepper flakes.
- Roll each goat cheese round in mixture to coat. During last
- minutes of beet cook time, remove beets from oven. Arrange goat cheese in a single layer on empty half of baking sheet and return baking sheet to oven. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vinaigrette to large bowl with greens and toss to coat. Peel off beet skins and
- cut into bite-size pieces. Divide quinoa among serving plates and top with mixed greens mixture, beets and goat cheese, dividing evenly.
- TIP:Smaller beets take less time to cook; increase cook time if using larger beets.
- Serving Size 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, 3 1/2 cups mixed greens mixture, 1 beet, 1 oz goat cheese
- Calories 379
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 253 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g