COST PER PLATE: $1.59
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 small beet
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tsp lemon zest plus 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic, divided
- 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp safflower oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted white beans (such as navy or cannelloni), drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- Prepare tzatziki: Preheat oven to 400°F. Wrap beet in foil and place in a small baking dish. Roast until beet is easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel and coarsely chop. Add beet to a food processor along with yogurt, dill, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp garlic, 1⁄8 tsp salt and pinch pepper. Purée until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Clean out food processor. (MAKE AHEAD: Beet tzatziki can be made up to 2 days in advance; cover and refrigerate.)
- In a medium nonstick skillet on medium, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add onion and remaining 1 tsp garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture cool slightly before transferring to food processor. Wipe out skillet and set aside.
- To onion mixture in food processor, add beans, egg, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, parsley, lemon zest, remaining 1 tsp lemon juice, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and remaining pinch pepper. Process until blended and parsley is minced, about 20 seconds.
- Form bean mixture into 4 patties, about 1 inch thick. (NOTE: The mixture will be wet and sticky.) Using your thumb, press a slight indent in center of each patty. To a shallow bowl, add remaining ¼ cup bread crumbs. Dredge patties in bread crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
- In same skillet on medium, heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil. Add patties and cook for about 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Divide lettuce among serving plates. Top with patties and tzatziki.
- Serving Size: 1 white bean burger, 2 lettuce leaves, 3 tbsp tzatziki
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 52 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g