When you’re keeping your liver health in mind, foods made with processed grains, added sugars and all kinds of simple carbohydrates are a no-go. But our Grain-Free Marble Matcha-Lemon Bread is different – and it’s completely liver-friendly.
In fact, it uses ingredients that can actually benefit your liver, fight fatty liver disease and even help you lower your risk for other conditions. It’s sweet, but in all the right ways. Made without any processed grains and low in added sugar, this grain-free quick bread is a smart way to enjoy a sweet treat without putting strain on your liver. Free of high-glycemic grains (such as processed white flour) and sugars (such as high-fructose syrups), it won’t put you at risk for fatty liver disease or type 2 diabetes.
Matcha on the mind
In addition to being a superfood for your liver, matcha has more to offer. It’s an extra-potent version of green tea, with even more L-theanine, a compound that may improve concentration and calm the brain. A 2012 study found that when given a cognitive test, subjects who took 100 mg of L-theanine made fewer errors than the placebo group. The participants’ sustained focus – or concentration – increased. And a 2019 study found that giving adults 200 mg of L-theanine daily helped reduce stress and stress symptoms while improving cognitive focus.
Plus, matcha includes all of the same benefits found in green tea. Rich in flavonoids, it’s great for your health health and can potentially reduce heart disease risk factors like high blood pressure. It can even offer potential relief from joint pain, thanks to its many anti-inflammatory antioxidants.
The matcha mixed into this lemony treat can offer a high dose of health benefits, helping you feed your liver and your mind. Plus, with its deliciously sweet flavor and a touch of glaze drizzled over top, you’ll want to enjoy a slice often! With so many good-for-you additions, you’ll really be able to enjoy each bite.
To reap all of the benefits of matcha, try some of our other favorite matcha recipes:
Grain-Free Marble Matcha-Lemon Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare bread: In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, collagen, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, ghee, honey, lemon zest and juice and vanilla until well combined. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and fold together until just combined.
- Transfer about one-third of batter to a medium bowl; stir matcha into batter in medium bowl and mix well. Spread half of remaining batter in loaf pan. Drop spoonfuls of matcha batter over batter in loaf pan. Repeat layers. Use a sharp knife or a chopstick to swirl batters together in a marble pattern.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes (cover with foil if it starts to brown too quickly). Transfer to a wire rack to cool. After 10 minutes, remove bread from pan and place on rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make glaze (if using): In a bowl, whisk together coconut butter, honey, lemon juice and salt. Whisk in boiling water, 1 tsp at a time, until glaze has thinned to a spreadable consistency. Drizzle over cooled bread before slicing and serving. Store leftovers covered in the fridge.
- Serving Size 1⁄4 of recipe
- Calories 307
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 86 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 206 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 12 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g