Twice As Nice
These whoopie pies and our Salted Caramel Cashew "Cheesecake" feature almonds in lieu of heavy grains. This Paleo-friendly substitute provides structural stability for the cheesecake’s crust and the cake portion of the pies and adds a hefty dose of protein to each serving: A quarter cup of almond flour, for instance, has 6 grams of this muscle-building macro, compared to around 3 grams for regular white flour.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (Try: Now Real Food Organic Coconut Flour)
- 3/4 tsp each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda, sea salt, ginger and cloves
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup raw unsalted almond or cashew butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Almond Cream Cheese
- 8 oz almond milk cream cheese
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To a large bowl, add almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves, coconut oil, almond butter, eggs, pumpkin purée, honey and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
3. Using a small ice-cream scoop (or about 2 tbsp at a time), transfer dough onto prepared sheet to make 20 cookies; lightly press each with a spatula. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on sheet, 10 minutes; transfer to rack to cool completely.
4. Prepare filling: Whisk cream cheese, maple syrup and cinnamon until smooth. Spread 2 tbsp frosting onto flat side of 10 cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat side toward filling. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 413
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 32 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 319 mg
- Sugar Content: 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 7 g