Greek-Style Kale & Mushroom Strudel
Crispy, flaky layers of phyllo dough are stuffed with a hearty, vegetable-rich filling and feta. Impressively, this recipe folds in an entire bunch of tender kale, making it a great way to sneak in an extra serving of vegetables any time of day.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale, large stems discarded, leaves chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup full-feta or soft nut cheese
- 4 sheets whole-grain phyllo dough
1. To a nonstick sauté pan on medium, add 1/3 cup water. When water begins to steam, add kale. Sauté until very well wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let stand until cool enough to handle. Gather cooled kale in your hands and squeeze tightly to press out as much water as possible into bowl. Discard liquid and set aside kale.
2. In same pan on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, thyme, black pepper and cayenne; stir well. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, remove from heat and stir in kale and feta.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay stack of 4 sheets of phyllo on a flat surface with long edge facing you. Brush top surface of phyllo with 2 tsp oil. Place kale and mushroom filling along the edge closest to you, leaving about 3 inches space from the bottom and 2 inches on either side. Roll phyllo dough over filling then continue to roll up, folding in the sides, like a compact burrito.
4. Transfer strudel to prepared pan and brush the top and sides of pastry with remaining 1 tsp oil. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until the top of the strudel begins to turn golden-brown. Remove from oven and let cool for a few moments. Enjoy warm, slicing when ready to serve with our Mint Yogurt Sauce (p. 80). For future use, wrap cooled strudel in foil and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 151
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 11 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 202 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g