Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 Anaheim or New Mexican green chile peppers, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium salsa
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- White vinegar, as needed
- 4 eggs
- Fine sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add potatoes, ¾ cup water and oil. Bring to a boil, partially cover and cook for 5 minutes (potatoes should be tender). If any water is remaining, drain potatoes.
- Add chile peppers, onion, celery and garlic and cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 more minutes. Add beans and salsa, uncover and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and cover.
- Poach eggs: Fill a saucepan two-thirds full with water, bring to a boil and add about 1 tsp vinegar for every cup of water. Reduce heat to a slow simmer. Crack egg into tea cup or large ladle. Gently lower teacup or ladle into water and pour egg out, careful not to break yolk. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook eggs for 3 to 4 minutes before scooping out with a slotted spoon. Place each egg over top of 1 1/2 cups vegetable-hash mixture. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 cup hash and 1 egg): Calories: 252, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 13 g, Sodium: 202 mg, Cholesterol: 212 mg