For more taco recipes, see 17 Tasty Twists on Tacos.
Hands-on Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Pico de Gallo:
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 lb total), cut into 1/2-in pieces
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 red jalapeño peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs fresh mahi mahi fillet, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 limes, halved
- Eight 6-in corn tortillas
- 2 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Pico de gallo can be made up to 2 hours ahead, covered and stored at room temperature.
To make pico de gallo:
In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, cilantro, lemon juice, and 1 tsp of salt. Set aside at room temperature.
To make tacos and serve:
- Heat grill to medium-high. Curtis Stone recommends his Curtis Stone Indoor Grill.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk oil, chopped cilantro, and garlic. Lightly coat fish with oil mixture and season with salt and pepper. Brush grill lightly with oil and grill fish for 2 to 3 mins per side, or until barely opaque when flaked in thickest part with tip of a small knife. Using a spatula, transfer fish to a cutting board and let stand for 2 mins.
- Meanwhile, grill limes cut side down for about 2 mins, or until beginning to char on bottom. Transfer to a plate. Grill tortillas, turning halfway through, for about 1 min, or until warmed.
- Coarsely break or cut fish into large flaky chunks and divide it among tortillas. Top with cabbage, crema, cilantro leaves, and pico de gallo. Serve with grilled limes.