Grilled Chicken Panzanella Skewers
This recipe turns a traditional Tuscan side dish into a summery main course with marinated chicken, red onions and fresh baguette – all threaded on a skewer and perfectly cooked on the grill.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, quartered and layers separated
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz baguette, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar, or to taste, optional
- 10 metal or wooden skewers (soaked if using wooden)
Prepare marinade: In a shallow, glass container, combine all marinade ingredients. Add chicken and onion and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Remove chicken and onion mixture from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. Preheat a grill to medium. Thread skewers, starting with 1 piece each chicken, onion, tomato and baguette. Repeat, then finish with 1 cube chicken. Repeat with remaining skewers.
Grill skewers 5 to 6 minutes each side, until chicken is cooked through. Drizzle skewers with balsamic (if using). Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size 2 skewers
- Calories 217
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 21 g
- Sodium Content 361 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g