Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
A Better Tortilla
A grain-rich diet can be inflammatory for some, so during a health reset, try making tacos using tortillas made from almond or cassava flour. Grain-free tortillas need to be gently heated over an open flame or in a hot pan to make them more pliable.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare salsa: Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse under cold water. Arrange tomatillos, shallot, jalapeño and garlic on prepared sheet. Roast 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. When cool enough to handle, slice jalapeño lengthwise and carefully remove seeds, avoiding skin contact. To a blender, add all roasted vegetables, cilantro, lime zest and juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
3. Meanwhile, preheat grill (or an indoor grill pan) to medium-high. In a large bowl, toss chicken with half of each oil, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, toss zucchini, green onions and poblano pepper with remaining one-half of each oil, salt and pepper. Place chicken and vegetables onto grill. Cook chicken 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Cook zucchini and green onions 3 minutes per side. Char poblano pepper on all sides until blackened, then transfer to a paper bag, seal and let steam 10 minutes.
4. Transfer vegetables to a cutting board; roughly chop and set aside. Transfer chicken to a separate cutting board; chop and toss with a spoonful of tomatillo salsa.
5. Remove poblano pepper from paper bag. Use a paper towel to rub away charred skin. Slice poblano, discarding stem and seeds.
6. To build tacos, heat tortillas on a grill or skillet, 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer to a plate and fill with chicken, zucchini, onions, peppers and remaining salsa, then top with avocado and hemp hearts. (Alternatively, use butter lettuce leaves in place of tortilla.)
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 575
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 154 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 38 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 515 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 17 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g