Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Making these buttermilk wings on the grill gives them a smoky flavor that you just can’t get when you bake or fry them. We pair them with spiced baby bell peppers and a totally creamy dip for a complete meal.
To save yourself time during busy weekdays, put your freezer to work! We suggest buying frozen wings, thawing them in the fridge on Tuesday then marinating them on Wednesday.
See Also Grill Once, Prep All Week
1. Make marinade: In a large bowl or glass container, whisk together 1¾ cups buttermilk, honey, 2 tsp each garlic powder and paprika, 1½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Make dip: In a small bowl, whisk remaining ¼ cup buttermilk, mayonnaise and blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Prepare spice mix: In a small bowl, combine remaining ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp each garlic powder and paprika, and ⅛ tsp pepper; set aside at room temperature.
4. At least 8 hours before grilling, or up to 1 day ahead, add thawed wings to marinade; cover and refrigerate.
The Day Of
5. Preheat grill to medium; grease grill. Drain wings, discarding marinade. Grill, turning often, 25 to 30 minutes, removing smaller ones if they start to get too brown. Cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, toss bell peppers with oil and spice mixture. Grill, turning, until tender and charred in spots, 3 to 5 minutes (work in batches if needed and remove peppers as they’re ready).
6. Serve wings and peppers with reserved blue cheese dip.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 609
- Carbohydrate Content 8 g
- Cholesterol Content 247 mg
- Fat Content 44 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 44 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 750 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 21 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7 g