- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 large Japanese eggplant, trimmed and cut into 20 1/2-inch-wide half-moon pieces
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup black olives (pitted, optional)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil), as needed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 6-inch whole-grain pitas
- 2 cups lightly packed trimmed baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 metal or wooden skewers (soaked if using wooden)
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon zest, 1/4 cup lemon juice, garlic, oregano, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Transfer half of dressing to a second large bowl.
- Add tomatoes and eggplant to first large bowl, tossing to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad: To second large bowl, add cucumber, bell pepper, olives and onion; toss well with dressing and set aside.
- Prepare yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, combine all yogurt sauce ingredients. If necessary, add additional water 1 tbsp at a time until sauce reaches a pourable consistency.
- Heat grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with cooking oil. Onto each skewer, thread tomatoes and eggplant, dividing ingredients evenly among skewers. Mist skewers with cooking spray. Add skewers to grill; close lid and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice, until tender.
- Just before skewers are finished, mist pitas with cooking spray; grill, turning once, until lightly toasted and warm, about 1 minute. Cut into quarters and divide among plates. Add spinach to salad and toss. Serve with souvlaki, yogurt sauce and pita.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer of eggplant souvlaki, 1 1/2 cups salad, 1/2 pita
- Calories: 241
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 369 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g