Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a medium bowl, mix cornmeal, flour and baking powder. In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, honey and oil. Make a well in center of cornmeal mixture and add egg mixture to well; whisk until smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold in 2 tbsp jalapeño.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet on medium-low. Working in batches, add batter to skillet in 2 tbsp portions, leaving 1 inch between each cake. Cook until cakes begin to bubble on top, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 more minute. Repeat with remaining batter to yield 8 cakes.
- Meanwhile, prepare relish: On a cutting board, place 1 tbsp jalapeño. Tilt your chef’s knife slightly and drag it accross jalapeño, scraping it against the board into a paste. In a clean medium bowl, combine beans, jalapeño paste, remaining 1 tbsp minced jalapeño, avocado and lime juice. Serve cakes with relish.
- TIP: Use leftover relish when called for in our Meal Plan. If you’re not following the plan, try serving the leftover relish on cooked chicken or fish!
- Serving Size 2 corn cakes and 1/2 cup relish
- Calories 350
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 50 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 212 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g