Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Halloumi lovers need to master this recipe ASAP. Thought to originate from the beautiful island of Cyprus, salty halloumi is a cheese used widely in the Eastern Mediterranean. Usually made from a mix of goat’s milk and sheep’s milk, this semi-hard cheese has a soft firmness and extremely high melting point compared to other cheeses. These qualities make it ideal for grilling. These properties make it the perfect meat substitute for meat-free salads that are just as filling and satisfying.
We at Clean Eating love this salty cheese and Mediterranean cooking. That’s why we’re in love with this recipe in particular – a salad which will transport you to the sunny Mediterranean any time of the year. In this medley, we grill the cheese without compromising its shape, ensuring it retains structural integrity under high heat. The salty halloumi perfectly accompanies fresh, sweet grilled peaches. This cheese-and-fruit combo is accompanied by a healthy serving of mixed greens for a perfect, refreshing salad.
Nutritional Bonus: A study suggests that regularly eating full-fat dairy during adolescence may reduce the risk of diabetes and insulin resistance in later life. Scientists don’t understand yet the exact mechanisms for this phenomenon. However, it may be in part thanks to high levels of protein and fat. These macronutrients slow digestion and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.
1. Preheat a greased grill or grill pan to medium-high.
2. In a small food processor, blend oil, basil, vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, one-half of salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle peaches and halloumi with additional oil, as needed, and rub in lightly; season peaches with remaining one-half of salt. Grill, turning once, until peaches are tender and grill marks appear on fruit and cheese, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Slice peaches into wedges and cheese into bite-size chunks.
4. In a large bowl, toss mixed greens with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat leaves, adding more if desired. Divide salad among plates. Top each with peaches and halloumi. Sprinkle with pistachios and serve any remaining dressing on the side.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 402
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 36 mg
- Fat Content 31 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 827 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g