- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 lb ground chicken, preferably dark meat
- 6 tbsp minced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup (NOTE: Use a ketchup with a clean ingredient list such as Tessemae’s Organic Ketchup.)
- 1½ tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tbsp peeled and minced ginger
Pineapple Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tsp peeled and minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp arrowroot
1. Heat a grill to medium and lightly grease grate (alternatively, set up an electric griddle to 400ºF).
2. In a medium bowl, combine all patty ingredients. (It’s very moist, don’t worry!) Form into 5 patties, about 5 inches in diameter. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a medium saucepan, whisk together all sauce ingredients except arrowroot. Place on high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking until mixture reduces by half, about 15 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot and ¼ cup water; add to sauce. Whisk until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
5. Carefully transfer patties to grill with a metal spatula and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and pour 1 tbsp sauce on each burger. Smear sauce on patty using a separate spoon (to avoid contamination). Cook for another 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
6. Meanwhile, brush pineapple on both sides with oil and grill until marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip and repeat.
7. Place patties on buns, each with a slice of grilled pineapple, and toppings, including extra teriyaki sauce, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 447
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Cholesterol Content: 109 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 4.5 g
- Protein Content: 30 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 985 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g