Pickled red onions (optional): In a small saucepan, bring 6 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1½ tsp raw honey to a boil. Add 1 small red onion, sliced, stir, and turn off heat. Cover and set aside until onions cool to room temperature. Use right away or refrigerate in a small container.
- Prep Time
1 tsp olive oil
1 large avocado, halved and pitted
6 oz whole-grain tortilla chips
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup BPA-free canned unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
¼ cup pickled red onions, optional (recipe below)
1 jalapeño chile pepper, sliced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Brush oil over cut sides of avocado. Place avocado cut sides down on grill and cook until lightly charred and grill marks appear, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; turn off one side of grill to set up for indirect cooking. When cool enough to handle, remove skin from avocado and dice.
3. On a large cutting board, place an 18-inch-long x 12-inch-wide sheet of foil and top with a 17-inch-long x 11-inch-wide sheet of parchment, slightly crinkling the edges together to form a border. Spread chips over parchment and top with cheese. Layer avocado, beans, tomatoes, pickled onions (if using) and japaleño over cheese. Slide packet onto unheated side of grill. Close lid and cook until cheese melts, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer entire packet to a platter and serve warm, sprinkled with cilantro.
- Serving Size: ⅛ of recipe
- Calories: 349
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 264 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g