Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
There’s no denying the power or the appeal of avocado toast. I mean, what’s better than creamy avocado sitting on a perfectly crunchy slice of toast, seasoned with a little salt and pepper, and finished off with filling extras like scrambled eggs, crispy thin radishes and a layer of peppery microgreens? And because there are a million different ways to customize your avocado toast, it’s no surprise that it’s gone from cult classic to beloved mainstream breakfast.
Well, we’ve got a twist on this now-traditional AM meal that’s even healthier – and possibly even better in every way. We’re cutting out the bread and replacing it with veggies for a version that’s primarily plant-based and just as customizable. It’s grilled zucchini “toast”, and you’ve got to try it.
In this recipe, grilled slices of zucchini stand in for bread. Smear a layer of mashed avocado across the cooked squash, and add some scrambled eggs over top. Then, round out this “toast” with extras like broccoli sprouts (or your fave microgreens), slices of tomato and a little heat from red pepper flakes. Want to try different toppings? Go for it – you can create and customize however you want, and it’s still amazingly delicious and healthy.
All the flavor, none of the carbs (or gluten or grains!)
In addition to all of the good-for-you nutrients that a serving of this zucchini toast offers, it’s also the perfect meal for anyone who’s eating keto or low-carb. While your average slice of whole-grain toast contains 13.8 grams of carbs, the zucchini “bread” that serves as the base of this breakfast offers up just 0.308 grams of carbs.
Plus, because you’re swapping out a slice of bread for a slice of squash, you’re lowering your carb intake while cutting out grains and gluten too. That means just about everyone can enjoy this breakfast without worrying about what’s hiding in its ingredients. And thanks to its customizable nature, you can even swap out the primary protein. You can eliminate the eggs to make this dish vegan, or add in some meat (like turkey bacon) if you’d like. Change it up and find the perfect combination for your taste buds!
Grilled Zucchini “Toast”
- Preheat grill to 400ºF. Place a small cast iron over the grill and let it get hot.
- In a small bowl add the avocado, lemon juice, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into ¼ to ½ inch thick pieces, making about 4 pieces of “toast”. Grease both sides with ½ tbsp avocado oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp avocado oil and whisked eggs to the cast iron and cook for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your preference. Set aside. (This can also be done on the stove)
- While the eggs cook, make the zucchini toast. Place sliced zucchini directly on grill and grill for 2 minutes per side, until slightly softened. Assemble the toasts. Spread smashed avocado on toast, evenly distributing. Top with broccoli sprouts, sliced tomatoes, scrambled eggs, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine