The high acidity in citrus juice denatures, or rearranges, the proteins in fish in the same way heat does, so while it ’s not technically “cooked,” it’s not raw either. The halibut can become too firm if you let it sit for too long in the juice, so be sure to serve it right after bringing it to room temperature. Give the gazpacho a quick stir or whirl in the blender before serving if it looks like it has separated.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 lb boneless, skinless halibut fillets, cut into 1/4-inch chunks (or substitute with cod)
- 1 small jalepeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 7 vine-ripened tomatoes (about 1 lb), seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 Persian, Japanese or other variety of small cucumbers (about 8 oz.), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Prepare ceviche: To a large bowl, add fish and jalapeño. Stir in lime juice, lemon juice and salt. Stir until well combined, pressing down to submerge fish in liquid. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Remove plastic wrap; stir well and press down on fish to submerge in liquid. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until fish is white and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes more. Drain, discarding liquid. Return to bowl. Stir in onion, bell pepper, oil, cilantro and black pepper. Set aside at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare gazpacho: In a blender, combine all gazpacho ingredients except oil; blend until smooth. Remove stopper from lid ; gradually drizzle in oil, blending until combined. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Divide gazpacho among bowls. Top with fish mixture, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 311
- Carbohydrate Content: 7 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Sodium Content: 558 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 18 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g